Wednesday, December 2, 2009

This city

As you may have realized by now, I live in Toronto. And it's cold here. Both the climate and the people (okay, a lot of the people).

Tonight when I was waiting for the 501 at Queen and Yonge, the city felt more aggressive and unforgiving than usual. It's raining, there were several ambulances and firetrucks screaming past and everyone at the streetcar stop seemed more irritable than usual. This isn't an uncommon scene for Toronto, but there was something different tonight. It felt more like Gotham City.

There are a lot of things I like about Toronto, but I'm having a hard time remembering what those things are lately. Maybe I just don't like cities or maybe I'm just not spending enough time with Toronto herself. Most of my time spent in the city is in the neighbourhood where I work (quite snobby, not very friendly) or on the TTC (where people are at their most miserable). Of course, the neighbourhood I live in is lovely and I adore my little apartment. It's my little haven in the city.

I grew up near Toronto and never thought I would live here. I much preferred the country when I was little, but somehow, here I am. I moved here for work, for love, to change my life, to challenge myself and so on. More and more I find myself thinking, why am I living here? Especially when I know there are places like this out there:

And this:

And this:


P.S. I have been to all of these places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails